Menangle And It’s History

Menangle And It’s History

News, Out of Topic
Travel to Menangle and at the end of Glenlee Road stands the impressive property known as Glenlee Menangle history. Built in 1824 for the Police Magistrate William Howe, Glenlee has a rather auspicious history. Menangle resident James Fitzpatrick married a daughter of William and Annie Cummins, Glenlee tenant farmers at Menangle. While William Cummins served as Mayor in 1888 and 1890, James' grandson Frederick Sedgwick was Mayor 1957-1959. James Fitzpatrick Jnr came to own Glenlee, and it was he who first postulated a racetrack at Menangle, although by that time horse racing had been held at Menangle for some 30 years, since the 1860s. When the Menangle racecourse opened in 1914, it became a makeshift Army camp and was used to train member of the Australian Lighthorse Brigade. During the…
Read More